Monday, June 28, 2010

Destination Day 2 - Bismarck, North Dakota

The GPS is already showing its weakness. I knew I could get from Great Falls to Bismarck by following highway 200 across Montana, which then connects with I-94. Tomtom had the highway in its system because it correctly identified it once I was on it, but it could not plot a route on that highway. The worst route it suggested was 30 hours, 3000 km from Great Falls south to like Phoenix or something, then back up. It was just stupid. Ah well, good thing I bought an old-fashioned paper map of the US the other day so I could go and just keep an eye out for the right signs.

It was another clear, hot day and again I was so impressed by the lushness of the land. Eastern Montana was really flat and I expected North Dakota to be much the same, maybe worse. Listen, I've driven across southern Saskatchewan enough times to know how to dread the long, flat, uncurving highway disappearing to a tiny point on the horizon. I figured, geez, if North Dakota is due south of the mind-numbing trans-Saskatchewan drive, it must be the same. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised!

When I crossed the border into North Dakota I became aware of a smell coming through the vents along with the air-conditioned breeze (it was hot out there today, about 30 since 10:00 am). It smelled sweet. And moist. And green. I've finally done it, I've identified a smell for a color. It smelled like hay. I was so happy to discover that North Dakota is actually quite hilly and very green and lush, and it is pretty humid here. My hair is rather froofy today.

I saw a couple of photo-ops today but was unable to find any safe place to pull over. The first was a little while east of Great Falls, with a view west to a small range of mountains with a tiny bit of dusting of snow on them. A lovely old red barn stood in a vibrant green meadow on a long, low slope up to these mountains. It looked like something you'd see on a calendar. Alas, nowhere to stop.

The second...oh, I will likely never forget that one. This was a few hours later in eastern Montana, still on highway 200, a single-lane highway with shoulder about a foot wide, and deep ditches. To the north, up on a rise in the pasture, were four horses grazing. One of them, the one on the farthest right, raised his head and looked east. He was a bay, a reddish-brown with black socks and mane and tail. A gust of wind tousled his mane and tail, and the sunshine on his red hair made him glow and he just looked so regal. Stupid narrow highway. Ah well, at least the image is in my head.

So I didn't get any pictures today and I'm in the CDT time zone now, so I've lost an hour and I need to get to bed and I won't be uploading the pictures from yesterday either. I probably can tomorrow. Today was about a 10 hour drive, tomorrow is only 6. I'll be in Minnesota tomorrow, just outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Hope there's something cool near the hotel that I can go shoot!

Oh, one last thing. Today was an interesting day, emotion-wise. I found myself a little stressed about my GPS crapping out on me and I wondered if I was going the right way. Time was an issue today as I had a dinner appointment with my friend Cheryl who lives in Dickinson, ND, 90 miles west of Bismarck. I thought, "You know, I'd feel much better if I was driving with someone who was familiar with these roads and could tell me, 'Yeah, you're fine, I know where you are.'" And then I realized that I certainly was not alone and that my co-pilot and travel agent was always with me and certainly knew the way. I felt very comforted by that.

And then a while later I was thinking about when my parents and brothers and I drove to Toronto when I was six. I was thinking how happy my mom must have been to know that after those long days of driving she'd be able to see her mom again. And then I lost it. Just to imagine, to wish, that my mom would be there waiting for me in Toronto just turned on the taps and really made me realize how much I miss her. Today was first time since she died that I've cried about her. What would I give to hear her laugh again! I know it was her time to go, but I miss her. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment