Wednesday, November 18, 2015

So many little things to take care of!

While doing a massive batch of laundry today I realized I needed to look deeper into having a working cell phone in Japan. The Mr. suggested we each rent a phone at the Narita airport, but it looked to be $10-$15 US per day. We're there for 11 days. That's a little pricey.  I checked with my cell phone carrier and I was able to get a roaming package for about the cost of my usual monthly bill. I will have more than enough data to get me through emails, GPS and maps for half the cost of renting a phone there. If we get separated we can email each other.  Plus for $5 per day in the US I can use my phone as much as I want.  I'm going to need that for a few days for sure.

I had a longer look at our hotel in Tokyo.  Boy, do I ever feel like I'm not classy enough for that place! Most of the restaurants require "sophisticated" clothing.  Sorry, the best I can do is new jeans. There are other more casual dining options, so we're certainly not going to starve.  There is no free wifi in any of the hotel rooms, that costs extra.  Of course.  The pool is open weird hours (closes at 8:00 pm!), and guests have to pay $4 to use it.  Very strange.  Well, perhaps that offsets the fact that tipping is not a thing in Japan.  Guess that works out.  Oh, they also have one of those "traditional" Japanese communal baths, where you sit in a big pool naked with a bunch of other people.  Yeah, sorry, not going to happen. I'm way too prudish for that.

On that note, The Mr. attempted to buy a swimsuit today, but couldn't find what he was looking for. He wanted trunks, and all he could find were Speedos.  I just about died laughing.  I told him to buy them, I wouldn't mind, LOL!  He said no, not going to happen.  "You want me to scar all the people in a different country?  Pale fat man in a too-small Speedo?"  He was going to look for some online tonight, and if he can't find any, we will go out together Friday night to find some for him.

Another thing that crossed my mind was, how are we getting from the airport to the hotel?  The airport is an hour away, and the hotel didn't have its own shuttle. There were three options for transportation, ranging in price from $25 USD to $200 USD.  The cheap option has a bus whose final departure is only one hour after we land. We will have to get our luggage and get through customs and then find the place to get the bus tickets, so one hour may be cutting it too close. Option 2 is to take a bus to a train station, then near our hotel take a cab the rest of the way.  Option 3 is to take a cab the whole way.  I'd sure like to get on that bus if we can!  It will be about 6 pm by the time we get to the hotel, which is 2 am our time. We are going to be so tired.

I realized today that this probably qualifies for the most epic, and expensive, first date ever.  This is definitely not a cheap vacation, but it's going to be one of the best experiences of my life. :D

I wish I could leave tomorrow.  Two more sleeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment