Monday, April 16, 2012

July 5, 2010. The night out with Catherine.

So my cousin Catherine had been in contact with me during the first part of my road trip and wanted to get together while I was in Toronto. She came to the memorial service but didn't come to the cemetery or the gathering at Nicole's house.

To clarify, Catherine is a step-cousin from my dad's side of the family. My dad had an older brother, John, who was the the only one of the nine kids in his family who lived in Ontario. Everyone else was in Alberta and Saskatchewan. So, because of the distance, we didn't see him very often and I didn't know him very well. My dad seemed to think John was always grumpy about something, and I remember thinking that John looked very much like Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music. Handsome guy. He had come to Calgary a few times but we didn't visit very long. I knew he was my uncle and that was about it. He passed away about 10 years ago after suffering from Parkinsons for many years.

John's second wife, Anne, had a daughter, Catherine, from her first marriage. Catherine was still young when John and Anne married, so she knew him quite well.

I met up with Catherine near her work after she was done for the day, and we went to a nearby restaurant and planned to see a movie afterwards. During the meal she talked about John and I was so happy to learn more about him. He was a father to her, and she loved him. I wish I could remember all she told me about him, but I do remember feeling really glad to know he was a happier person than I ever knew, and that Catherine appreciated and loved him. It made me wish I had known him better. Really, truly. I feel like I missed out knowing a really good man. Kind of sad how sometimes these good things don't come out until it's too late.

We talked about my trip and the places I would be seeing soon, and we talked about church. She seemed interested in what a tremendous positive influence my faith had on my life, and the confidence it gave me to take this long, adventurous trip on my own, brave enough to do so because I felt inspired to take this trip and felt totally safe and secure wherever I went. After our visit, when I was in Palmyra I ordered a church video for her, about the beginning part of the restoration of the church.

We went to see Toy Story 3, I think it was. She said it was the first movie she'd seen in a long time.

It was a nice visit, and it was really nice to get to know her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment