Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 12 - Boston

It was hot today. Hot and humid. When I started my tour around 9:30 we had a nice breeze and it was very comfortable. By 2:00 I could see the writing on the wall; namely, "If you decide to go on the guided tour of the USS Constitution and go down into the stifling lower decks, all will probably NOT be well." So I opted to heed my hunch and went back to the car. I'm now in my dark and cool hotel room, having had a cool shower and I'm staying put for the night. I was going to go to the Boston temple but I had a big early dinner and the heat has tired me out. I'm going to catch up on my Youtube subscriptions tonight and get lots of sleep.

I learned today that a half-day of whizzing around downtown Boston is only enough to whet the appetite for more. This place is absolutely jam-packed with history. As the tour boat left the wharf for a short tour of the harbor, the tour guide was mentioning that at these very docks the British soldiers arrived to tame the uppity colonists. Those same British soldiers sailed away on March 17, 1776 (Evacuation Day, known by most of the rest of the world as St. Patrick's Day) and never returned. I was facing backwards then, watching the city very slowly recede and I wondered what it would have been like to see the Brits sailing away.

This is such a beautiful city, and the drive here was just incredible. The mountains are rocky but are mostly covered with deciduous trees. I would love to drive through here in the fall, but I'm afraid I'd never be able to keep my eyes on the road! I have a thing for fall colors and I know here in the east they get so much more vibrant colors (red, specifically) than we do in Alberta. It's too cold and dry there for maples to grow, so we make do by drooling over the September and October pages in the free calendars delivered by hopeful real estate agents.

Maybe when I finish school for good I could come out here some October and take my time (at least a good, full week) to learn and appreciate all the history in this small area. Fascinating!

I also learned that I should have used the SPF 50 today. I used 30 and my legs are a bit red. I probably should have just reapplied it but, well, it never occurred to me. I took about 150 pictures today! Most are pretty bad because I was shooting from the tour trolley, so there are window frames, reflections, and motion blur in a lot of them. Next time I come I'm going to fly in, stay in a hotel downtown, and then get out every day and see as much as I can!

Tomorrow evening I'll be in Palmyra watching the Hill Cumorah pageant! I've been waiting for this for 21 years...oh, I should charge up the camera battery again while I'm thinking of it. I'll be there for two nights. Saturday I'll be touring the town and the sacred grove, and maybe doing a session at the temple. Sure hope it's a little cooler out there.

I may be without internet access again for the next two nights, so just hold tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment